Thursday, October 27, 2011

Good vs. Evil

Last night I had the pleasure to attend Good vs. Evil: An Evening with Anthony Bourdain and Eric Ripert.  Most people are familiar with Anthony Bourdain through his show No Reservations on the Travel Channel or maybe through some of his books, such as Kitchen Confidential.  Eric Ripert has his own show, albeit less publicized, on PBS called Avec Eric.

 Let me start by saying that Eric Ripert is handsome.  I knew this before I went.  I was glad I already knew this, because he and Mr. Bourdain looked pretty small from my seat in the lower nosebleeds.  At least I wasn't in the upper nosebleeds.  As I expected, many of the audience members were cooks and chefs.  This included the three gentlemen seated next to me.  I spoke briefly with the one nearest to me.  He is a student at Johnson & Wales University and he works for a private chef.  I knew he was in the industry based solely upon his attire.  It was a dead giveaway.  But you're not here to read about the audience--you want to hear about the show.

Mr. Bourdain is quite comfortable speaking in front of a crowd and has perfected his TV voice.  Chef Ripert was quieter and less verbose.  What he lacked in theatricality he made up for in handsomeness.  Did I mention he's handsome? 

The show started with Chef Ripert seated on an uncomfortable-looking yellow folding chair, with Mr. Bourdain interviewing him.  Chef Ripert was riddled with questions about employing illegal aliens, what he thinks of the Whopper ("satisfying" but "disturbing"), and how many times he's "done Martha Stewart".  The two switched places, with Chef Ripert interrogating Mr. Bourdain about his past drug use, his wife's ability to kick ass, and why he thinks he's qualified to be a judge on Top Chef. 

After the grillings, both gentlemen sat in armchairs and discussed assorted topics.  I was actually wishing Mr. Bourdain would stop talking and let Chef Ripert say something.  Chef Ripert is very interesting.  And handsome.  The topics were all relevant to foodies and chefs, with discussions about sustainability; urban farming; the redecorating of Chef Ripert's restaurant, Le Bernardin; why we should all buy a plane ticket to Asia; Rachael Ray and Paula Deen; fruit baskets; and whether Gordon Ramsay should be allowed a TV show.  If you want to know all the details, you'll have to catch the pair at their next stop. 

I've been a fan of both men for quite some time, especially Mr. Bourdain.  Good vs. Evil gave me additional food for thought (pun intended), plus it gave me the chance to look at Chef Ripert for an hour and a half.  He's handsome. 

If you're really into food or are fans of either gentleman, I recommend seeing this show if at all possible.  If not, they both have a variety of books available online and at your nearest bookstore.  Maybe even at your library.  Also check out Chef Ripert's website, as well as Mr. Bourdain's No Reservations website.  Both sites include television schedules when you can catch both.  If you can, try to find the No Reservations where Mr. Bourdain returns for a night working the line at his old restaurant, Les Halles, and brings Chef Ripert with him.  Best of both worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment